This year sharad Navratri or Navratri Fast / Vrat starts from 10th Oct, 2018 and ends on 18th Oct, 2018.
Navratri means nine nights and during this period, devotees throughout India worship 9 forms of mother goddess or Shakti or Devi.
During this period Many people keep fast during navratri. as its a very good time to make progress in your spiritual practice or to invoke the energy of mother goddess or to purify your body, mind and soul.
Navratri fasting rules
Navratri puja, fasting food & Navratri fasting rules varies little from state to state. Similarly fasting rules applies for fast during the ekadashi, janmashtami and mahashivratri fast. so lets discuss about food Item allowed during fast
Grains & Flour Allowed during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Singhare ka atta (water chestnut flour) – you can make SINGHARE KI POORI, paratha, pakoras,
- Kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour) – you can make KHICHDI, PARATHA, PAKORAS, POORI, HALWA.
- Rajgira ka atta (amaranth flour) and rajgira (amaranth) – you can make POORIS, VRAT KA HALWA, VRAT KI KADHI, PARATHA, and thalipeeth. roasted rajgira can be had mixed with fruits, porridge and even ladoos. from amaranth grains you can also make RAJGIRA KHEER.
- Sama ke chawal ka atta (barnyard millet Flour) – can be used to make VRAT KE UTTAPAM, IDLI, dosa, pooris.
- Vrat ke chawal (barnyard millet) – you can make PULAO, KHICHDI, KHEER, dalia, IDLI, dosa, upma or just plain steamed.
- Arrowroot Flour or paniphal Flour – used as a thickener and binding agent
Herbs & Spices(Masala) Allowed during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Green cardamom (chhoti illaichi), cloves (laung), black peppercorns (saboot kali mirch),
- Cumin & Cumin Power
- Cinnamon (dalchini) and nutmeg (jaiphal) dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) – you can make chutney or raita or use it as a souring agent.
- Black pepper powder and rock salt (sendha namak)
- Ginger – both fresh as well as dry, including dry ginger powder
- Green chilli or hari mirch and lemons.
- Ajwain or carom seeds
- *Coriander (dhania) and mint leaves (pudina) and curry leaves (kadi patta)
- *Dry mango powder (amchur powder), chaat masala, red chili powder
- *Black salt (kala namak)
*some folks include and some don’t
Vegetables Allowed during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Potatoes – You can make Vrat ke aalo, Dahi aalo, Jeera aalo, Aalu Tamatar sabji, you can also make aalo snacks like aalu tak, aalo chat, also make halwa or add them to raita.
- Petha or pumpkin – you can make KADDU KI SABZI, HALWA, KHATTA MEETHA KADDU SABZI or PAKORAS.
- Shakarkandi or sweet potato – you can make SHAKARKANDI HALWA, TIKKI or chaat.
- Arbi or Kachalu or Colocasia – you can make many dishes from arbi like SUKHI ARBI, DAHI ARBI, ARBI TIKKI, ARBI CUTLET.
- Suran or Jimkand or yam (regular yam as well as purple yam) – you can make SURAN CHIPS. suran ki sabzi.
- Raw banana – you can make sabzi, banana fries and BANANA CHIPS.
- Raw or semi ripe papaya – you can make PAPAYA HALWA and salad from raw papaya.
- *Tomatoes – tomatoes are added to curries or sabzis. tomato sauce and chutney is also made. but some people don’t use tomatoes too.
*some people also use spinach (palak), bottle gourd (lauki), cucumber (kheera) and carrots (gajar).
Other Food & Ingredient Allowed during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Sabudana or tapioca pearls – sabudana is favorite during fasting. you can make SABUDANA KHICHDI, VADA, THALIPEETH, PAKORAS, LADOOS, TIKKI, BHEL and KHEER.
- Makhana or phool makhana – you can make MAKHANA KHEER, ROASTED MAKHANA, ALOO MAKHANA, rotis or a simple makhana sabzi.
- All dry fruits – you can make DRY FRUITS MILKSHAKE or DRY FRUITS LADOO or BADAM PISTA BARFI or add them to halwas or other dishes.
- All fruits – make FRUIT CHAAT, FRUIT SALADS, FRUIT RAITA, mix FRUIT LASSI or fruit juices like MUSK MELON JUICE, JACKFRUIT SHAKE, PINEAPPLE JUICE, APPLE MILKSHAKE, GUAVA JUICE or have them raw.
- All milk products like paneer, CURD, white butter, cream, ghee, KHOYA, malai, condensed milk. but some people make PANEER AT HOME (use lemon juice or curd for curdling the milk) and don’t use the paneer brought from market. with paneer you can make KALAKAND, PANEER KHEER, ALOO PANEER KOFTA, PANEER BARFI.
- Sugar, Honey, Gur or jaggery.
- Tamarind (imli), kokum, lemon juice, yogurt – these can be used as souring agents.
- Coconut and coconut milk – you can use coconut in your dishes, make COCONUT LADOO, COCONUT BARFI or use COCONUT MILK in MILKSHAKES.
- Melon seeds (magaz), cucumber, peanuts, groundnut oil.
- Tea is allowed.
Foods to be Avoided during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Onion and garlic are strictly avoided. if you find any recipe in a food blog which has onion and garlic then skip adding them. so most vrat recipes make use of curd and ginger.
- No lentils and legumes.
- Common salt is not used and instead rock salt or sendha namak also called as upvaas ka namak is used.
- Turmeric (haldi), asafoetida (hing), mustard (sarson or rai), fenugreek seeds (methi dana), garam masala and dhania powder (coriander powder) are not allowed.
- Alcohol, non-vegetarian food, eggs and smoking is strictly NO during this holy period.
- Coffee is not allowed. homemade ice cream can be consumed. but avoid buying from outside as they might have lot of preservatives.
- Corn, corn starch, corn Flour, oats, Flax seeds, chia seeds not allowed.
- Only use peanut oil or groundnut oil and ghee for frying purpose. don’t use any oil made from seeds like sun Flower oil.
Flours and grains not allowed during Navratri Fasting/Upvas/Vrat
- Rice and rice Flour
- Wheat Flour or atta
- Maida (all purpose Flour)
- Sooji (rava or semolina)
- Besan (chickpea Flour or gram Flour)